The United Nations General Assembly as an offshoot of its 2010 declaration through Resolution A/RES/65/154 has committed the 2013 World Water Day Celebration to water cooperation. Consequently, the UN Water has sought for the UNESCO to spearhead the event as this year’s theme “International Year of Water Cooperation” encompasses relevant aspects to water cooperation necessitating multi-disciplinary approach to pull together natural and social sciences, education, culture and communication.
The worldwide celebration of water day on March 22, 2013 seeks to foster among others the following objectives:
• To raise awareness both on the potential for increased cooperation and challenges on the water management in light of the increase in demand for water access, allocation and services;
• To highlight the history of successful water cooperation initiatives;
• To identify burning issues on water education, water diplomacy, transboundary water management, financing cooperation, national/international frameworks, and the linkages with the Millennium Development Goals;
• To provide opportunity to capitalize on the momentum created at the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20); and
• To support formulation of new objectives that will contribute towards developing water resources that are truly sustainable.
With the staging of the 20th year of successful international world water day initiative, various across the globe activities are also set to be launched as a way of response to the celebration.
This annual event has first started on March 22, 1993 as duly designated by the United Nations General Assembly and upon the recommendation of the United Nations Conference on the Environment and Development (UNCED) in the year 1992. The said program seeks to advocate for the importance of freshwater and the protection of its sources.
The Metro Roxas Water District in support of the upcoming celebration will conduct a seashore clean-up at Barangay Bay-bay, Roxas City to second the previous year’s MRWD-led activity themed: “Suba Ko… Palangga Ko…” – a Panay River Clean Up Drive organized last 2012 world water day celebration in partnership with the Roxas City Council, Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Capiz, government agencies and other cause-oriented groups.